Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's Comic Book Day, Volume 2, Issue #1 (What, Like All the Publishers Don't do Pointless New #1 Issues)

I have nothing profound to say.

Wait, stop agreeing with me.  What I meant to say is that I'm not going to go into anything too deep in this week's comic book musings, other than to say this:  while I've said many times that Spider-Man and Batman were my favorite characters, if I had to name one actual of run of comics that was my favorite, it would have to be Walt Simonson's run on the Mighty Thor  (followed by John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four).

So my non-profound thing to say is, the following is one of the coolest things ever in all of creation:


The massive Walt Simonson Thor omnibus released by Marvel.  This thing has his entire run in it  (remember back in the day when a long run on a comic was counted in years, and not months?) and clocks in at over a thousand pages.



See Thor stave off Ragnarok!  See Thor turn into a frog!  See Thor work as a construction worker!  See Thor grow a beard!

I'm not selling this nearly as well as I could be.  It really is one of the most awesome collections of comics to be found.  One of the reasons I got hooked on Thor had to do with Simonson's Ragnarok storyline, which happened to cross over into Spider-Man and the Avengers  (two books I was reading at the time).

This was when crossovers were really a rarity, so when the whole world freezes over and demons from Muspelheim start attacking across the Marvel universe, you knew something major was up.  From that point on I was hooked on the epic scale and vision of Thor's universe.

Of course, this omnibus has an epic pricetag as well  ($125.00 retail), so if anyone needs a kidney, I have a spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment