Saturday, May 14, 2011

Whosoever Watches This Movie Will See The Coolness of Thor

I took  my daughter to see Thor this very day.  Yes, I know, I'm a bad comic book geek.  I didn't make it out the opening weekend.  That having been said, I did try to rectify the situation as soon as I could.  I must admit I was not disappointed by the venture.  In fact, I learned a few things watching this movie.


Before I get into the lessons learned, however, I just wanted to mention some of the things that were great about this movie that may not have been obvious to non-comic book geeks that have enjoyed the film.  I really was impressed that the film not only did a good job on Thor, Odin, and Loki, but that Thor's long standing supporting cast not only appeared, but played pretty important roles in the story.



It would have been very easy for the film makers to say that introducing Sif and the Warriors Three was something that distracted from the main task of introducing Thor to a wider audience.  However, when you cut out supporting elements, you do run the risk of missing some of what makes the character special in the first place.


Now, for the lessons learned.  I'll admit, to a degree, you could see this in the latest Hulk movie, but this movie really brought home the fact that you can have massively powerful super hero battles and still make them look awesome.

The reason I saw that this is a lesson learned is that in good super hero movies of the past, you don't quite have the epic scope of a movie like Thor.  Sure you can have a good fight scene in a Batman movie, or an X-Men movie, or even Iron Man.  But what about guys that can fly at Mach 1 and throw battleships at each other?

Thor doesn't shy away from answering this question, and I'm hoping that Zack Snyder is taking notes when it comes to fight scenes in the next Superman movie.  I mean, seriously, it would be nice to have an actual fight scene in a Superman movie.  Slow motion bullet deflection and lifting big things really isn't a substitute for a good super hero throw down, and after seeing the Thor-Destroyer fight or Thor and Loki's tiff, I really, really want to see Superman have an all out slug fest with some one like Mongul, Doomsday, or Bizarro.

Which brings me to my next lesson learned.  Marvel Studios seems to have a handle on these things.  I really hope that DC doesn't embarrass themselves with Green Lantern.  Batman can't be the only franchise carrying DC to respectability, and we all know that even Batman movies can falter . . . horribly.

To be honest, I'm a little worried that Green Lantern toes are the new Bat-nipples.  Time will tell.

6 comments:

  1. I really was not very impressed. It was "meh" at best to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honestly curious to see what would have worked better for you. I often struggle with the baggage I bring into something like a movie, and wonder how much of my opinion is formed before I ever watch the film.

    I will fully admit some of what impressed me may be translating to film what I already enjoyed about the comic, and being impressed that they did a comprehensive job of it. However, I think what they did right does play a bit more towards the movie being successful.

    Thor is very much the "Superman" of Marvel. No so much as a leader or moral center, but the "out there" guy that skews the upper end of the power curve when he's around the rest of the heroes. He's also very alien, albeit in a different way that Superman.

    Superman is made more "down to earth" by having an upbringing as a normal human being on a farm in a small town. Thor tends to be at his most accessible when you can see that while he is not human, he's got friends and family and has a whole other world that has some similarities to our own.

    Its a harder sell, and I guess I appreciate that, to my mind, they did seem to pull it off with the Warriors Three, Sif, his mother, even his interactions with Heimdall.

    But, again, I've got years of being a Thor fan invested in this, so I admit I can very easily be biased as long as the movie doesn't outright suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo! I've had a blogspot for a while now; great to be able to still keep in touch. :D

    Thor was okay. The one point it failed at, for me, (excepting why Thor would choose such a skinny woman!) was the ending with Loki. I thought it was going to get interesting. But no; it was okay for Thor to act all immature and endanger everyone as a lesson, but not so for the ruthless Loki.

    I did enjoy it, though. Great to see Hawkeye, and the introduction of magic into the Marvel movieverse bodes well for what I want to see in the next Ironman film.

    I was surprised that it didn't set up the Avengers movie a bit more though. I thought that Thor was going to end up on Earth, but now it looks like they will have to "waste" time in the Avengers film getting him there.

    Looking forward to Captain America and Green Lantern a bit more. :D

    Kev'/tallforadwarf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for tracking me down Kev! I do think that Loki wasn't completely off his mark when he sensed that Odin, while not treating him bad, per se, didn't give him the breaks he gave Thor, especially given his master plan for Loki.

    Did you sit through to the very end of the credits? I'm actually kind of hoping that this is just a prelude to Loki's bigger debut as a major villain across the board, and not just Thor's personal pain in the backside.

    I am kind of hoping that they don't spend too much time explaining Thor's return to Midgard in the Avengers movie.

    Also, I liked that not only did we get a Hawkeye preview, we got him making a snarky comment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D

    Yeah, I stayed until after the credits. I love how these Marvel teasers are getting longer and longer. It would be nice to see more Loki, yeah. If given more screen time, the character might grow on me, past the flaws in the Thor movie. Perhaps you're right about having him come back in a larger context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm almost hoping for something similar to what they did in the Avengers cartoon, where Loki organizes the Masters of Evil as a distraction for the Avengers while he does his nefarious thing.

    Then again, Tony's enemies have adopted the Hollywood trait of dying by the end of the movie. Right now the best we can do is have someone with a Hammer designed battle suit for a Tony nemesis on the Masters.

    Plus, we didn't get to meet Amora or the Executioner in the Thor movie.

    ReplyDelete