Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Have Become Death, the Destroyer of Campaigns

I cancelled my Pathfinder campaign tonight.  I just can't muster the excitement to go on with the adventure path, and I feel horrible about it.  I'm not burned out on GMing, but I am burned out on Pathfinder.  I'm not saying it is a horrible system, but I'm not in synch with it anymore, and I had a lot of work to do to get into the next adventure in the AP.

After talking to some friends  (thanks for letting me bend your ears, by the way), I was feeling that, if I can't do a good job of it, and I'm not having fun, bad gaming can be worse than no gaming, and I was just going to man up and tell everyone that I'm not really feeling it anymore.

So I send out the e-mail, and take a deep breath.  I hope I don't loose many players, and I hope I get to keep GMing, I'll be honest.  I want to run games, I just don't want to run Pathfinder.

Then I get an opinion on EN World saying that me cancelling a adventure path before the end is like Fox cancelling Firefly mid season.  Great.  Now I'm back to feeling guilty.  So I guess either I do a shitty job as a GM, because I'm not invested in the system I'm running, or I'm a shitty GM because I can't follow through on running a full AP for the players.

I don't know what's wrong with me. 

5 comments:

  1. I've played Pathfinder Society games with you a couple of times and I play in the Deathwatch game the same night you were running the Pathfinder game. I think if it's wearing on you and making you unhappy, you should hang it up. You have a right to have fun too and your job is harder than the players' to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite sayings is: "If you aren't having fun, you are doing it wrong."

    If you aren't having fun GMing Pathfinder, then find a system that you will have fun with. I like how much Savage Worlds seems to focus on story over mechanics. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a mechanics type of guy, but then I get so wrapped up in them sometimes, that I lose track of the story, so what do I know?)

    Anything you want to GM, I'll play in. Just don't expect me to model and paint a figure for it!!! (Argh!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry too much about an EN world post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared... You could run a game of Tiddly Winks and there's a good chance I'd want to play in it.

    Don't let others get you down, especially others who don't know you, or how much time and preparation you typically put into a game session. Hell, if I put in HALF the time that you put in, my games would be so much better than they are.

    Alas, spare time and I do not have much in common... Go figure...

    -- GopherDave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. Sentiments appreciated. Assimilating positive vibes. Assimilation complete.

    ReplyDelete