Sunday, June 19, 2011

In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Movie Shall Escape My Sight . . .

I saw Green Lantern last night, with the family.  A lot of fun, especially since my wife handed me a Green Lantern mask and ring and told me I had to wear them when we went to the movie.  We went the to the always delightful Harvest Moon Drive-In in Gibson City, Illinois:



Harvest Moon Drive-In

Thankfully I had no problem calling her bluff.  The best part of the night was going into the concession stand and talking with the nice woman working the counter.  I explained to her that my lovely wife had issued a challenge, and she said it was perfectly alright as long as I was okay with her not being able to look me in the eye.
Thankfully, I wasn't the only one appropriately dressed.

Now, about that movie . . .

I am trying to be as objective as possible in discussing this movie.  I will admit that I was not thrilled with Ryan Reynolds being cast as Green Lantern.  I also think that the early ads tried to showcase Reynolds' signature snarky humor a lot more than they should have.

I'll also say that I do think that the movie crammed a lot into one movie.  Very easily it could be regarded as too much into one movie.  Hector Hammond and Hal's initial training could have been one movie in and of itself, Parallax and the corps another.

Finally, there were about two, maybe three parts of the movie where I was scratching my head a bit because there seemed to be a disconnect between what happened between scenes, or at least the logic behind what ended up happening.

However, with all of the above said, I don't really know why this movie is being reviewed so badly.  I'm not expecting it to get acclaim and ovation, I'm just not sure why.  If people were just saying that they wished it had done X or Y better, I could understand. But it's like this movie has given review the green light  (so to speak) to dive into massive hyperbole mode.

It's an average movie, bumped up a notch on the "worth seeing" list if you have any interest in comics in general and DC and Green Lantern specifically.  If you are a fan of Green Lantern, there isn't much of a reason to be upset by this movie.  It's not a bad translation, even if it could have been better.


Now, I also realize that some of the reasons this movie wasn't as good as it could have been aren't of much concern to reviewers.  This movie had to:

1.  Introduce Green Lantern  (Hal Jordan)

2.  Introduce the Green Lantern Corps concept, including the metric crap ton of DCU aliens involved

3.  Begin slowly introducing the wider DCU  ("why hello there Amanda Waller")

4.  Seed some future Green Lantern stories

5.  Provide a big bang to prove that other DC heroes can carry a movie

Given the figures thus far for Green Lantern, the Flash and Justice League projects may not be as certain as one may have liked.  It's a bit disappointing, and perhaps, in retrospect, Flash would have been a better expansion point that a huge mythos like the Green Lantern Corps.

I also could be very, very wrong about this, but I'm wondering if announcing that "Everything you Know Will Change in a Flash" wasn't just a catchy phrase for Flashpoint, but also the new guiding principle for the rebooted DC Universe didn't slow down some of the built in base the movie may have had among the normally geek inclined.

I have to admit, I was less than enthusiastic a week ago.  The fact that my wife and children planned this expedition for Father's Day, as well as my general returned enthusiasm for the semi-current DCU due to my DC adventures game caused me to rethink my cynicism and enjoy the film.  I'm glad that I did.

Final Jibe:  I did hear at one time that this script was going to be based on Emerald Dawn.  Honestly, that is probably a much more film friendly origin story than the somewhat Secret Origins version of Hal's origin that this movie seemed to try and draw inspiration from.  Just a thought.

3 comments:

  1. Just got back from my *second* viewing of the GL movie. Saw it once in 2D and once in 3D; 3D was good, but not as good as Tron was.

    I started a massive rant about why the movie wasn't going to succeed, for my blog, but gave up half way through. It seems like a lot of the critics and average joes were simply unable to accept both a magic ring and aliens at the same time. With only one of these, it might have done better at the box office. But would not have been so loyal to the source.

    I also read more than one comment online, from audiences, saying that the Guardians ripped of Megamind. Lol!

    Apart from the fact Ryan Reynolds plays himself, rather than Hal Jordan, I thought it was great. Easily on a par with Ironman, Spiderman, etc., and easily better than Thor, Daredevil, etc.

    I really wanted it to succeed, to get other DC movies in the works. Shame it might not happen for a while now. But hey - Superman Returns makes $350 million dollars and that's considered a failure. It wasn't looking good for Hal from the start....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say I liked Thor better, but I know what you are saying. It was better than a host of super hero movies, including (to my mind) the critically acclaimed snoozefest of a movie that was the Ang Lee Hulk.

    I'm still hoping to see a nice fun Flash movie at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the Ang Lee Hulk. I had no idea it was critically acclaimed. Everyone seemed to hate it, so I just assumed that the critics did, too. It wasn't so bad; the reason I liked it was for the slower pace. It made Hulk feel like a DC character to me. I do understand why it wasn't so popular though, and the ending really needed to be a bit better. :)

    RE: Flash. Well, at least you still have the series, right? ;p

    ReplyDelete