Saturday, June 4, 2011

So, What Else Do You Like?

Continuing in the tradition of trying to be as positive as I can, I'll go ahead and post another geeky thing that makes me happy.  While I've been getting a bit burned out on Pathfinder, I've been increasingly happy with my explorations into the Savage Worlds game.



When our Shackled City GM had an issue preventing him from running this Thursday, I threw together a Savage Worlds Aliens versus Predator game.  I'll go into more details on that when I do the Games in Review post on Monday, but despite a few hiccups, the game went really well and was a lot of fun.



For anyone that isn't familiar with Savage Worlds, it is a very simple, quick playing system.  You can emulate just about any genre, but for my tastes some are a better fit than others.  For example, I've played in a Savage Worlds super hero game, and while it was fun, I'd rather use something like Mutants and Masterminds if I really want to make a superhero that fits a very specific concept.

Basically, all attributes and skills have a die rating, i.e. you have, for example, a d8 strength, meaning any time you have to roll a strength check, you roll the d8  (and a d6, but I won't go too much into mechanics here, other than to say, the d6 is because you are a "special" character so you have essentially an extra "luck" die to replace lower rolls on your normal attribute). 

Somewhat like Mutants and Masterminds, there are no hit points or health, you just have a wound track to determine how hurt you are and if you have become incapacitated. 

If you can still find the $9.99 Explorer's Edition digest sized rules somewhere, pick them up, they are more than worth the paltry fee.  However, there is a new hardcover coming out in the next few months, and eventually there will be another digest sized rulebook to go with it, but Pinnacle, makers of the game, can't promise what price point the new digest sized rulebook will be at  (however, their digest sized Companion line has been about 19.99 . . . still worth it).

Depending on your play style and preferences, there may not be quite enough moving parts to keep you interested in a longer term campaign, but again, your millage may vary.  The system is very good at using for one shots and conventions, and given how easy the game is to get up and running, its doesn't seem like it would be too hard to run shorter story arc campaigns that allowed for genre switching once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment