Monday, August 1, 2011

Games in Review, August 1st, 2011

Sorry I missed the update last week.  I must admit that last week was a bit . . . eventful, but only on the non-gaming side of things, so I'll refrain from sharing the details here.  At any rate, due to those hectic circumstances, my DC Adventures game didn't go off as planned, but I never got around to posting any details on my Hellfrost game, so here goes.


I'm pushing my comfort zone a bit by taking on seven players, but I'm hoping that with a simpler system like Savage Worlds, it won't be quite as problematic as it would be in a more rules intensive system.


Starting out, I really wanted the players to have some kind of stake in where the campaign starts and what the PCs are doing, but given that most of the players aren't that familiar with the Hellfrost setting, I just looked for common themes of what races and specialties were present.

In the end, I settled in on Aspiria in the setting.  It's a fairly standard middle ages style kingdom with good ties to the settings past allowing for some plot hooks here and there.


The session started with a creepy ghost herding the PCs together for the first time to solve a murder that didn't appear to be a murder at first glance.  This led to the group hunting down a cult, one member of the group trying to join, and the rest of the group opening up a blood bath on the cultists.

On top of that, the group burned down anther house that the cult was associated with, but thankfully, there was a handy noble that wanted to scoop the PCs up as his own personal hired agents and he snatched them off the streets before the rampant killing and burning caught up with them and they had to explain too many things to the authorities.

One thing I hate when taking on a brand new campaign that is entirely my own brainchild is to find a place to start.  I can see the middle and the potential ends to the campaign, but it's so hard to figure out where the beginning is.  I have to say, the Gnome Stew book Eureka! came in very handy for this to at least nudge me toward how to introduce the characters.


In the end, I think the session went pretty well, especially as an introductory adventure.  It seemed like everyone was having fun and was involved in the plot to one degree or another.  That having been said, I'd not be me if I didn't see where I needed to improve right out of the gate.

1.  I made a General History nobility title gaff that was pretty rudimentary and yet my brain didn't register the gaff right away, and said history/title gaff was enough to cause commentary, and as such, was a least a bit of a speed bump in the group's immersion in the game.

2.  I made a detail ruling that wasn't as wrong as it appeared (I did kind of know what I was talking about historically speaking), but was still wrong and poorly detailed setting wise, and again, it was enough to cause some discussion and bump everyone out of their mental gamespace.

Long story short, I need to keep my head in the game and make sure I don't make simple gaffs that are going to draw attention to themselves.  Nothing major, but certainly "needs work" on my part.

Once we had our first session, a lot of details about what I want to do in the campaign started to fall into place, and I'm excited to get the ball rolling further at this point.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly didn't notice those issues at all. I noticed being put on babysitting duty and my character being clueless about darn near everything. (All my own fault, but still)

    ReplyDelete