Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's Comic Book Day Extended Special Edition #2 (Final New 52 #1s)

I was planning on getting a few more #1s to get a more rounded experience.  In this, DC actually shot themselves in the foot, at least regarding my interest.  Beyond the books that I'll summarize here, I was planning on picking up Flash, Superman, and Aquaman, and based on some positive feed back I had heard, even Men of War, which I had no interest in before I read said positive feedback.

Unfortunately, before I was able to play "pickup" on these titles, I started reading tons of stories about what was coming next at the DCnU, as well as quite a few stories about writers leaving projects and directions changing and the like  (I thought we just had a major direction change . . . across the board).

I didn't really start picking up #2s, and I'm not sure if I am going to do so.  I'll admit even I got caught up in the adrenaline of the relaunch, but at the same time, without good ideas or a coherent direction, it's hard to keep caring.

So, with that rousing endorsement, here are the last two "New 52" that I picked up.


Hey, broken record time . . . anyone care to guess what I'm going to say about Wonder Woman #1?  If you said that the story just kind of cuts off without really resolving and leaving a ton of questions, you would be right.  

It was okay.  It didn't make me feel like I wasn't reading Wonder Woman, but I was a bit perplexed by the rave reviews.  Greek gods doing mysterious stuff, some girl is in trouble, and she gets teleported to WW for help, and she helps, and we find out why Hera doesn't like her . . . which isn't a big surprise.

I have to say, my opinion is further maligned by knowing the "big reveal" coming up in Wonder Woman.  Taking a unique origin like Wonder Woman's, and then changing it to something as base as "Wonder Woman is a Zeus' kid" is about as bad as saying Thomas and Martha Wayne were part of some secret society working against an organized evil organization in Gotham . . . wait . . . how about, it's about as dumb as Peter Parker's parents being spies . . . no . . . wait . . .

Our generation of comic book creators have much to answer for.


Swamp Thing #1 references (at least vaguely) the pre-Crisis Alan Moore "Anatomy Lesson" story, the Death of Superman storyline, Brightest Day, and has Superman appear in his DCnU outfit.  And none of these references are really fully, explained.  Swamp Thing may be the least new reader friendly book in the entire new 52 line up.  And the story doesn't resolve.  In fact, we kind of see the potential future villains, but there isn't even a hint that Alec Holland is going to go anywhere near them yet.

I can't say it was bad.  I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort to follow.  I read Swamp Thing even before Alan Moore started his famous run on it, and I always liked it, but man, I wish it had just been a story that sort of explained who Swamp Thing was, and told a complete story.  Especially for a new #1 issue.

I'm not sure if I'll eventually go back and check out any more new 52 books.  One nice thing about same day digital is that, even if everything is sold out, I can still read these things, and if I'm not getting them "same day," a month later I save a buck.  I'm still thinking they might need to be cheaper than the actual physical copy even same day, but hey, that's me.

1 comment:

  1. Agree with you on WW's new origin. Still, I kind of feel that if that is something she has to sacrifice to gain a wider audience, then I'm glad it is that, and not her character.

    Between my wife and myself, we bought about half of the new 52 #1, and have standing orders for about a third. Not bad for DC. I guess I was a little disappointed with our local comic store as the guy who runs it is pro-Marvel and has taken the the lack of JSA personally. He is comic book guy from the Simpsons, but without the beard. He could have been doing a lot more to help himself/DC.

    It's a shame they didn't hook you in and you didn't enjoy it all a bit more. I agree that some of the #1 should have been stand alone issues.

    And Captain Atom got weird/ass very quickly. Hmm.

    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete