Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mission Statement . . . Again

I'll let you in on a secret.  My reasons for blogging have changed a bit over the course of the blog.  Way, way back when I was still on Livejournal, I started blogging so that I could vent some of my frustration from the online communities I was a part of, thus making my actual posting time a bit more pleasurable because I had already vented the most vehement of my opinions.

After years of venting about the Forgotten Realms, WOTC, 4th Edition, Pathfinder, Pathfinder Society, online communities, game design in general and game designers in particular, and reading others venting in complaining, I started to wonder:  How many of us enjoy our hobby?

It also helped lot that GopherDave really helped me put into perspective why I gamed and what I liked about it, and helped me to grasp that trying to force myself to like games that I felt I "had" to like wasn't doing me any favors.



Around that time I decided to start specifically blogging about gaming sessions with the emphasis on why I enjoy gaming.  Gaming is a great hobby with a lot of great people.  I love the creative outlet and the social interaction, and I'm psyched to get to game in a wide variety of systems next weekend at Winter War.

That's not to say that I didn't want to say anything negative, or constructive about games or game design or gaming trends, just that I always wanted to focus on the idea that the point of gaming is to have fun playing games, not to theorize how games should be played without actually playing them.

I've had a few bumpy patches, from a campaign meltdown to some personal issues that cut into my gaming time for a while, but I'm running a game and playing in two right now.  I've also cut down on my reading of comics that are currently produced.  I still love comic books as a theory, but not so much as an ongoing product.

With all of that firmly in mind, I decided along with getting back to being better organized for my games, I needed to get back to some discipline in my blogging.  I've been thinking about what kind of schedule I needed to set up, but sometimes the simplest schedules are the best.

So, from this point on, I'm planning on having at least some kind of summary of the game I've played on the day after I play the game.

Right now, that means the following:

Alternate Wednesdays:  DC Adventures Summaries

Alternate Fridays:  Pathfinder Shackled City Player Summary

Alternate Fridays:  Deathwatch Player Summary

And with that firmly stated, it's likely I'm going to break that schedule the first week out, because I don't think I'm going to get a Pathfinder report worked up with Winter War coming up next weekend.



If I break a schedule before I finish making it, does that create some kind of temporal paradox?

Anyway, random musings about table top games, video games, sci fi and fantasy pop culture, and comics when the mood strikes me.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. It is a real shame that LJ has died. You weren't the only one who left it, and I barely use mine any more. :( Really looking forward to your DC write ups! :)

    ReplyDelete