Monday, January 30, 2012

Winter War Journal 2012 (Day One)

This last weekend was our local convention here in Champaign-Urbana land, Winter War!  I'm starting to feel a bit guilty, because this is the second year in a row that I haven't run anything at the convention.  I've already started planning a few things I might run for next year's convention.  But before we get to that, let us review what we did this year for Winter War, shall we?




The day started a bit early.  In fact, the day started after about three and a half hours of sleep since our Pathfinder session went a bit late the night before  (or at least our group therapy session after the session went long).  




First thing on the agenda:  become part of the Gopher Swarm that was going to take the best game store in Champaign-Urbana and reassemble it at Winter War.  As it turns out, the Gopher Swarm and our Gopher Lords have become a bit too efficient at this.



Why are we too efficient?  Because we actually got everything packed and moved to the convention hall before we could set up.  Since we were early, I'm going to count this as erasing the fact that I overslept last year for the initial Winter War Gopher Swarm.  





Once time caught up with our super fast Gopher Swarm, we began to assemble the home away from home on site.  I was throwing the RPG stuff up on shelves . . . so . . . many . . . boxes . . . of . . . books.  However, the RPG stuff was just a fraction of the Gopher Leviathan, and I had miniatures games and board games on either side of me flying past me at Gopher Swarm speed.




Eventually I disengaged from the Gopher Swarm  (I form the left knee of Gophertron!) and went off to play in my first event, a Pathfinder RPG event run by Mike Bohlman showcasing the setting that bySwarm has been developing for use with the Pathfinder RPG.






I won't give away too much, but setting, from what we saw of it in the adventure, has a nice twist on fantasy compared to what is currently out there on the market.  I had a lot of fun failing at things I should have been able to do  (horrible, horrible dice rolls, I had).  


Unlike other years at the con, I only had one event Friday night.  At first I kind of regretted not filling that Friday evening slot, but then the three and a half hours of sleep the night before caught up with me.


I hear some of my fellow Gophers had a blast in GamerCurmudgeon's "We Be Goblins" game, and I am bummed I couldn't see it first hand, but then again, I'm not quite as spry as I once was.  Perhaps next year I'll hibernate for a week before the con and just stay up all weekend.






More to come as the War Journal rolls on.

1 comment:

  1. Here is the easiest way ever to run a module.

    1) Tell the players that they are goblins.
    2) Give them incentive for talking in goblin voices all night (DR 1/EVERYTHING).
    3) Go along for the ride. Be prepared for the train to entirely leave the rails.

    I swear the entire session was an absolute blast, and I didn't do a bit of real work.

    ReplyDelete