Sunday, March 25, 2012

Man Enough To Admit I'm Wrong: DC Nation Shows (3-25-12)

It's no secret that I'm a fan of the Young Justice animated series.  To my way of thinking, despite the changes to people's ages and how exactly certain things have come about, the core concept of each character is still recognizable as that character, while still allowing for some new stories and some twists and turns that even long term fans won't see coming.



In fact, the show has done a few interesting double head fakes to make you think they might not be following something that they then ended up following.  Which might sound confusing, but I don't want to give examples, because it's been a fun ride.



Just imagine how much more momentum this might have had if Cartoon Network had actually shown major chunks of the series consecutively instead of breaking it up into the tiny isolated chunks that they have so far.

Ah well.

But where I have to make a few apologies is the Green Lantern Animated Series.  Up front, I will say I'm still not a fan of the animation.  It's such rudimentary outdated CGI that I'm really not sure why we started out with it to begin with.  Still, the producers have said in interviews that if the show sticks around, they get more time and money to develop more detailed models.  It's just strange that they even seem to acknowledge the sub-par animation with the caveat that they are gambling that they can make it better if they can convince people to stick around.



Now, after the pilot episode, I wasn't sure if I would stick around.  I wanted to see a good Green Lantern series, but this thing had 80/early-90s formula written all over it.  Narrowed theme  (Hal and Kilowog are stuck in the middle of nowhere and thus won't be interacting with the normal DCU)?  Check.  One constant, recurring villain, even if that makes them look incompetent and burns the audience out on the bad guy  (Red Lanterns)?  Check.



Now, why did I assume the above was true?  Maybe because in the interviews from all of the comic book conventions the line was "Hal and Kilowog are going to be trapped in an isolated part of the universe fighting Red Lanterns the first season."  I guess this sounded like a positive thing to the DC executives.  And the pilot really made this look like the direction the series was going.

However, this week's episode already reestablishes that the Guardians are in contact with Hal and Kilowog  (no spoilers here, it happens almost at the beginning of the episode), and our intrepid Green Lanterns run into the Spider Guild  (again, it happens pretty quickly into the episode).  Sure, there is still a Red Lantern  (they have one as a prisoner), but they even establish that it only takes "a few months" for travel back and forth to this part of the universe.



So we have more traditional, pre-rainbow lantern corps Green Lantern extended characters showing up, a connection to the more traditional DCU space stomping grounds, and even some hints at another major development down the road.  I wasn't blown away by this episode, but it has kind of restored my faith that GL might develop into one of the "good" DC animated series, if it can get past it's initial set up and it's "cutting edge" animation.

Sorry I was skeptical.  I may be wrong on this one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment