Sunday, May 13, 2012

Testing . . . one . . . two

I've had some one shots I've wanted to run lately, and I've had some games that I wanted to try my hand at running, to see if my initial opinions on them is on or if I'm full of it.  Unfortunately my really awesome FLGS, Armored Gopher, tends to be full up when it comes to scheduling one shots these days.

On top of this, I've got some sessions I'd like to run next year for Winter War  (Champaign-Urbana's awesome local con), and I'd love to run them to see what works, what doesn't, and how much time they take.

All of this has me thinking of how to get a chance to run these games.  I don't have room at my house for gaming, so this pushes me into virtual space.  With all of the talk from the D&D Next team and playtesting on Google+, I'm thinking of setting up some hangouts in the future for just such a purpose.

That having been said, I'm a little nervous at the prospect.  I've never run a game online, other than a few failed play by post games. The face to face aspect of Google+ makes it perfect for actually getting a feel for how long a session might run at a con, but it feels a bit weird to just jump into something cold, potentially with players I've never met, but honestly, is that any different than running a game at a con?

More musings as I get a better idea of what I want to do, but if anyone out there on the interwebs that reads this  (you both know who you are) has any thoughts on Google+ hangout gaming or related topics, I'm all eyes  (because . . . you know, I wouldn't be all ears . . . because I'm reading comments . . . you know what I mean).


1 comment:

  1. More than willing to give it a shot. Also have 1 (possibly 2) gamers in California who really wants to play but his local scene doesn't exist according to him and his local game store is a 40k club house.

    ReplyDelete